How to Participate
Submissions were completed March 20th 2020.
Signing & General Information
The following rules determine the participation of wines.
WHICH WINES ARE ACCEPTED
1. The wine participants are registered on the online platform using the available link, and the wines are bought from the market. We want to replicate the circumstance of the consumer in terms of what exactly he obtains by choosing from central retail points that meet strict criteria of correct preservation and storage of wines, with controlled temperature and humidity. This is radical and almost inconceivable but it is a one-way street for us for the blind tastings to be unimpeachable. Wine buying points are not announced to safeguard from instances of impeachment.
2. Only bottled wines with a production of over 500 bottles on the market have the right to enter the 50 GGW. Cellar door participations or older vintages that are not commercially available will not be accepted. For natural wines, the requested documents include a technical analysis by a laboratory, the organic grape certification and a written statement by the producers that no additives are used.
3. The organising committee reserves the right to reject the participation of a wine at any stage of the process if entry criteria as defined above are not met and to ask participants for any supplementary document considered necessary for the substantiation of participating wines.
4. Only the winners and the total number of wineries and wines that participated are announced.
5. For all the awarded wines, wineries need to reserve a minimum of 30 bottles of each wine-winner for promotional actions and events that will follow.
6. 50 GGW is entitled to photograph, produce or reproduce images of the participating wines on its site or in directories, posters that will be created, or use these on printed material associated with the project itself.
7. Since all the labels participating in the 50 GGW are sourced from the market, as stated above, it is considered that they fully comply with the conditions of bottling and marketing wines as these are specified by EU Regulations a) No. 1308/2013 of the European Parliament and the Council of 17 December 2013, b) Commission regulation (EC) No 607/2009 of 14 July 2009 laying down specific detailed rules for the implementation of Council Regulation (EC) No 479/2008 as regards protected designations of origin and geographical indications, traditional terms, labelling and presentation of certain wine sector products (EU L193) and c) Regulation (EU) No 251/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 February 2014 on the definition, description, presentation, labelling and the protection of geographical indications of aromatised wine products and repealing Council Regulation (EEC) No 1601/91 of the Council (EE L84).
8. All the wines that will be included in the 50 GGW list will have the following benefits
– They will be included in a two-page report in the 50 GGW Digital Book that is free to download from our website.
– They will be promoted throughout the year through our Social Media on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
– They will be included in the 50 GGW collaboration with restaurants both within Greece and overseas.
– 2,500 free 50 GGW Winner Stickers will be issued to be used on bottles (distributed at a specific point).
– OPTIONALLY, they can participate in promotion actions abroad. Participation costs will be determined with each action.
9. In addition, for all wineries awarded for three consecutive years, regardless of the label (can be the same or different), because of the stability shown and continuous pursuit of Greatness, we are creating the rank 50 GGW | Next Level with the following privileges:
– Award of a special prize/trophy.
– Additional two-page separate interview of the producer in the Digital Book.
– Priority participation in masterclasses.
– Separate promotion on the GreatGreekwines.com website
10. For 2022, 50 GGW rewards the winners with two separate collaborations with Award-winning Michelin and Michelin Platter Restaurants.
FOR ALL THE WINES THAT DON’T MAKE IT INTO THE 50 GGW LIST
11. The wines are not announced and remain confidential. 50 GGW only announces the winners. We understand that out of curiosity, many people might want to know which wineries and wines were entered into the competition, but sharing this information is not part of the 50 GGW philosophy.
12. They will receive personal Feedback taken from the judges’ notes and not just a description of the wines.