50 GGW present for a second consecutive year at the influential Taormina Gourmet in Italy
Significant was the 50 GGW’s presence at the world-famous gastronomy exhibition Taormina Gourmet in the homonymous, beautiful city of Sicily, where a masterclass was held with white wines- winners from the second edition of 50 GGW. Yiannis Karakassis MW presented 7 Assyrtikos from Santorini, Tinos and Peloponnese and 2 Cretan wines from Vidiano and Thrapsathiri.
This year’s warm audience included wine professionals, Sarah Abbott MW (founder of Old Vine Conference), MW students, journalists and wine buyers. “The passion for Greek wine shows wherever I am. From Santorini and Vedema to Sicily and Taormina, we keep seeing enthusiastic people who seem to have, in their minds, linked Greek wine with Greatness and, diversity, uniqueness. We must build its reputation from side to side with solid foundations, something we are working on constantly.” Yiannis Karakasis MW, 50 GGW founder, stated.
The wines tasted were the following:
- Amargiotakis Winery, Thrapsathiri 2020, Crete
- Tiniakoi Ampelones, “Clos Stegasta” 2020, Assyrtiko, Tinos
- Argyros Estate, “Cuvée Monsignori” 2019, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Artemis Karamolegos Winery, “Pyritis” 2019, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Gavalas Winery, “Enalia” 2018, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Domaine Sigalas, “Kavalieros” 2020, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Gaia Wines, “Ammonite” 2020, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Douloufakis Winery, “Dafnios” 2016, Vidiano, Crete
- Troupis Winery, “Pitys Ritinitis” 2021, Assyrtiko, Peloponnese
The next 50 GGW promotional activity is scheduled for November 2022 in Warsaw where 16 wines will be presented to a targeted audience.